In my experience the autorouter works well when starting from scratch 2 or 4
layer boards. You have to get the design rules right for the density you are
hoping to accomplish.

I have not had good luck invoking the auto-router to just route a few new
added parts to an existing high density design. So I have made small
incremental changes to the design manually. If I had to do a major makover,
like 25% or more of the design, I would probably save the old design and
then delete all existing tracks and vias and let the autor-router start over
from scratch. It is very fast. After the first auto-route, look for any high
density areas and move the parts around a bit to make a little more room in
that area, then start the router over from scratch again.

Don't expect the auto-router to route every route the way you would do it.
Most of what is called "clean-up" is cosmetic but stupid looking tracks.

I use 8 mil lines and spaces with 30 mil vias with 15 mil holes in vias.
High density surface mount 4 layer boards. Usually on 6 layer designs 2 or
more layers are just ground planes anyway. P99SE SP5 on Win 98SE no crashes
for 1 year.

Good Luck,
Lloyd Johnson
DSS

* Tracking #: 195E311229C1774C9F63057BD735C6DBAEDEF90C