Well,
I can only offer what I have noticed here on only a few designs where I have
used the autorouter.
First if there are very very few traces on the board that are critical i.e.
need to be hand routed and locked prior
to the autoroute function the router actually does a pretty decent job. But
if there are many traces of critical
nature (or like your design 75% of routing wanting to stay as is) the router
did just like you state
makes all kinds of mess and yes shorts. I have not had it lock up though
just do a horrible job
of what was left.
I also find that even if it did not cause shorts because there
are so many locked traces it makes what it does put in 10 times as long to
clean up as if I routed it clean by hand.

Again just my experience with it but it does not seem to like alot of locked
trace.
I really felt for the amount of clean up required it just was not worth it.
I also have not had the time yet
to really try a whole board autorouted with enough rules to drive it
properly.
The couple boards where I routed only very few traces and let the router fly
it did a pretty decent job.
Very little clean up and it did not leave actual shorts in the board.
Reminds me of say ComputerVision or say Daisy that actually left shorts in
th eboard after autorouted
and that was on a benchmark board.

Bob Wolfe