We have both Protel 99SE (bought to seats) and PCAD (inherited 1 seat), and
comparing them PCAD is more powerfull, but Protel is easier to use. They both
have different ways of doing things so going between them is not the easiest
thing for the user.

The features announced for DXP look to bring it closer to PCAD as far how
powerful it is, but PCAD is  in line for a major upgrade according to Altium.

We will hold off a decision about upgrading to DXP until we see what it and the
next PCAD have to offer, but we will probably continue to move new projects to
Protel. We have had too many support issues caused by our closed Californian
office never upgrading their tools and skills.

As far as issues with PCAD, it has them, especially if you are trying to support
old designs with the new version and the designer of the boards did things like
routing signals on sections of power layers (they also did it the wrong way).
Libraries have also been a problem since they used many different ones and did
not save the library with the design.

If I was looking to buy something in the near future I'd wait and get an eval
copy of DXP as soon as it is available and an eval copy of PCAD, then spend the
time to learn each and see which matches our needs better. Fortunately we don't
need to buy now and can take the time to decide.

Rob

* Tracking #: 06411F3532E49E4AA9A1B030E958B4826BB8243D