At 01:06 PM 8/15/2002 -0400, Bagotronix Tech Support wrote:
>I'm a cheapskate, and don't want to pay for e-mail software such as Eudora.
>Also, any e-mail software that I might switch to must be supported under
>Windows and Linux, because I am trying to phase M$ out.

Just for the record, Eudora version 5 operates in three modes:

(1) Light. Free, no advertising. Fewer features.
(2) Sponsored. Full function. I use this on a number of my computers.
Advertising, a box that is periodically refreshed with a new ad. If the box
is hidden, Eudora squawks. I've also seen the ad function fail, i.e., the
box is there but it never has an ad in it. I'm not sure what the conditions
are. The ads are not offensive, no blinking lights, no sound. Occasionally
interesting, but mostly I don't notice them.
(3) Paid. I paid for a copy quite a while back, before they had the
triple-mode scheme, in order to get the better features. That payment still
allows me to use 5.1 in Paid mode.

from the Eudora web site:

>In Paid mode, Eudora does not display ads, and you get the full power of
>Eudora. [Instructions how to get Eudora 5.1.1 in Paid mode for
>$29.95/$39.95] Please note - if you have a paid and registered version of
>Eudora 5.0 that is less than twelve months old, you can upgrade at no
>additional charge.

Elsewhere it is stated that the upgrade from an older paid version is
$29.95, and the user who has never paid is charged $39.95. I'm using 5.1.1,
and it was some years ago that I paid, so I think the policy is new,
post-release of 5.1.1.

So what has happened is that they have stopped giving free upgrades, that's
all.

I spend many hours every day using this software. $39.95 is trivial
comparatively.

As a plus, the Microsoft Outlook viruses miss the target with my computer.

* Tracking #: 17D3A838CC5EAC489CC64673C6E1CEF9C4EA61A2