From: "Matt Daggett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Protel EDA Forum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 1:46 PM
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Protel vs. DirectCD

You should invest in SCSI I/O if you have a lot of throughput problems to
cause buffer underruns.  I can defrag a partition while burning from the
other without underrun issues and without burnproof.  Most of the problems
arise with all IDE based systems that use 100% CPU to burn CDs and MUST use
burnproof or else you get a coaster.  With a SCSI based system you'd see
about a 1-2% CPU hit while burning.  I have a 200Mhz Pentium Pro machine
that
I used to use to duplicate CDs that can copy a CD to five burners at 8X at
once w/o any underrun issues.  IDE couldn't even dream of that...

I cant really stress enough how important I/O is to system performance
independent of CPU and memory size.  A single Ultra160 15K disk will
outperform two ATA100 disks in a RIAD 0 stripe.  Also when putting a SCSI
disk under full throughput stress it doesn't use 100% of the CPU like all
IDE
based systems.  Not to mention the reliability and increased cache sizes you
get with most server-class SCSI disk.  SCSI disks have no where near the
high
failure rates of IDE disks because you are buying a enterprise solution.
Prices have really come down as well.. you can get a 73GB 10k RPM Ultra160
disk for about $320 now...that's really cheap!

* Tracking #: C1B0EC2FBEA93642BA9D1D4594DCBDE25B9CBF14