> i have never had an IDE die (knock on wood)

My experience also.

> at one point i got a scsi scanner (HP)
> it wouldn't run on my scsi system (built by MICRON for $5K)
>
> it insisted on ONLY running on the crappy scsi controller they packaged
> with it
> after plugging that in i got it running, but there were still issues ...

My experience also.  I had to replace the el-crappo (8-bit ISA) SCSI card
with another el-crappo one when the first one died.  That was for a circa
1993 UMAX Vista T-630 scanner (bulky by today's standard, but it still works
and produces beautiful results).

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.