FYI-
The latest Issue of Maximum PC (Sept) is reporting a performance issue
under XP with SCSI drives.  The problem seems related to historic
recommendations of the mode that a file should be opened with.  There was a
mention that under certain conditions,  this problem could occur in W2K
also.  MS is supposedly working on a patch for it.

I've got 98 and IDE myself,  so I wasn't paying full attention.
---Phil