Is any one know some who can translat Mentor file fo Cadence.

Thanks

Narinder

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Daggett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Protel EDA Forum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 10:47 AM
Subject: Re: [PEDA] SCSI v IDE & IBM Deathstars (was Protel vs. DirectCD)

What kind of card was it?  You cant really blame the SCSI interface itself
if
you were using an cheap/unsupported device.  Just as in any computer
hardware... its all worthless without good drivers.  Most OS's have innate
and very good driver support for the standard and popular SCSI cards on the
market (Adaptec families, etc).  Getting a scanner to work with a $10
bundled
controller card is another story.  If you bought the bottom-of-the-line
model
from KIA and it broke down you wouldn't draw the conclusion "cars suck"
would
you.

But there is no point in continuing this thread really... I'm sure everyone
could chime in with their $0.02 about their experience with every drive
model/make/interface since they ever had a computer.  Again, the initial
thread was that slow I/O and CPU overhead due to a particular storage
interface COULD have been one of the reasons certain list members couldn't
complete CD burns without babying their machines or at all.

There are significant hardware improvements in SCSI disks other than just a
faster spindle speed.  The materials used in the platters are much more
advanced to minimized bad sectors and the servos on the heads are faster and
more precise for continuous sustained read/seek performance.  Not to mention
all of the on-board logic to implement better data prefetch and location
prediction.  Increased MTBF and 100% duty cycles.  The disks are made to hit
two points within the professional and enterprise community: known
reliability and high performance.  IDE disks on the other had while
embracing
many of the same technical upgrades through the years as SCSI technology are
made to provide the consumer market with: large storage density and cheap
price.  Even as the quality of the disks themselves increase there will
still
always be the CPU hit due to the fact that IDE cannot multitask.

To each his own... if you don't want to pay more for hard drives, then
don't.
If you are pleased with your IDE reliability through the years, then keep
using them.  If you don't think there could possibly be any improvement in
SCSI disks than IDE to warrant the higher price tag then continue to think
that way.  But there are clear cut technological and application differences
for each of the storage technologies to meet a particular
customer/price/performance.