OK, Matt, I agree with most of what you say.

> Machines running at slower speeds than today's busses were plenty fast for
> custom application hand crafted in C , Pascal or God forbid in assembly.
Now
> 2 decades later we have _progress_ . We now have 2GHz+ microprocessors
> running countless versions of Windoze . Still no RTOS in sight . Linux is
> not real time. Heck, it's not even free. If I wanted to buy a decent
> distribution packaged in a box and on a CD rather than ftp files it costs
me
> almost as much as windows . The extremely fast and powerful hardware
> resources are brought to their knees by the ever more bloated software.

You can get a decent boxed Linux distro for $30-40.  Windows is nearly $200
for XPhome (new, not OEM or upgrade).

Bloated software - yes, indeed.  It's because programmers are lazy and love
to use the VB stuff.  Even worse is when they use VB application
generators - template-driven apps that generate huge volumes of mostly
redundant interpreted code.  And the propensity of consumer-oriented
computing to overdo the cheesy user interfaces (XP GUI theme looks like a
Playschool/Fischer-Price PC to me).  True story - I know someone who
develops non-secret VB apps for a military contractor, to be used by pilots.
I asked him what the hardware requirements were.  He said the official line
was 300 MHz PII.  Then he said that realistically, the app would not be
responsive enough until 3 GHz hardware was available.  That's in a laptop!
Oh, and it is to be supported until 2008, and runs on NT 4.0, which has been
discontinued.

The bloated software problem will eventually solve itself in these ways:
1)  Hardware tech will eventually hit the wall.  People (like me) have been
saying this for years, and it hasn't happened yet.  Intel and others always
manage to pull a new rabbit out of their hats, so far.  But it *will*
happen.
2)  People will get soured on tech.  This is already happening.  Many tech
types don't like what they have to use.  Many non-tech types don't know why
stuff has so many problems, they just know it's a piece of crap and they
want their money back.
3)  There will be an ever shrinking talent pool of people who can understand
and design reliable software.
4)  Software will become so expensive to create and maintain, it will have
to be simplified, or the economics just won't work.

Call it the "tech wreck", if you want.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.