On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 09:19:18 +1000, Hugh wrote:

>Does anyone seriously use the simulator or PLD design parts of 99SE?

I never got any sense out of the PLD package the only thing it might be fit
for is obsolete parts. The simulator I used a bit, I consider myself lucky
if it runs without an error I don't understand and trying to use 3rd party
models it a real pain.

>It sounds good in the marketing blurb that these features are integrated
>but I would personally prefer that the effort go into making the
>schematic, PCB and autorouter (that I have used a lot) work better.

They did, that's why the simulator and PLD are flakey.

>don't think the hype does any good for new sales as it is a very well
>informed market, on the whole and people already have some solution
>(often free) for their simulation and PLD design work.

Yes the 'day in the life of a engineer using DXP' mailshot blurb really
cracked me up. I wondered if anyone (other than managers) would be so
gullible as to believe it. I binned it but I do remember something about
doing a quick signal integrity check after completing the schematic -
before you even defined a stack up - that would be a neat trick.

>3D viewer comes into the same category, I am afraid.  Does anyone use it
>for other than a "what does this do, not much useful" look?

Without component models it is a toy, however, for the few seconds it takes
it can be nice to look at a bare PCB. Unfortunately the OpenGL interface is
so flakey in my experience the chances of it working on any given system
are about 4:1 against.

Cheers, Terry.

* Tracking #: D888D85A5763314591875F32B18CEED36A7A362A