Matt,
        some questions are better unasked. 8^>

1)      Never seen it, can't help.
2)      Never seen it can't help.
3)      How difficult was it to make the board in the first place? How dense
is the board? Where in that density, do you have to add the new components?
Answer these questions and you have answered your own question. Your
question is kind of like, ...how high is high? Only you can answer it
because it is all relative to your knowledge & perspective.
4)      This would typically be the manner in which I would do your bottom
GND plane. Several others here have mentioned using the same methodology
previously. The only other option would be using a plane layer as your
bottom layer. The plane layer is not quite as simple to control or
manipulate and could be misconstrued in the future for someone not
intimately familiar with the board.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com
Norsat's Microwave Products Division has now achieved ISO 9001:2000
certification

* Tracking #: 8589E9549118CD42820E9122C90024131A136805