i have seen this problem a few times myself
it is pretty mysterious and difficult to resolve

i chased it for a while and got nowhere

i sent such a file to protel and they reported that they could not see
it
(they did not report that it was a known bug)

when i opened the file on a different machine it disappeared!

i saved it and reopened on first machine and it was gone.

BUT what is interesting was that prior to saving on the other machine it
would persist and survive saving and reloading on the first machine
it also survived restarting protel

i have no idea, it's almost like a video issue, but it must be in the
file somehow

Dennis Saputelli

Ian Wilson wrote:

> On 09:54 AM 11/09/2002 -0500, Dave Eloranta said:
> >I moved a completed layout so that I could add a mirrored title block on the
> >lower left of my parts locator drawing.  All design rules pass, and I am
> >ready to generate gerbers. How do I get the rats nest of nets to conform to
> >the completely routed PCB. Reloading the netlist replies netlist unchanged.
> >

> >Thank you
> >Dave Eloranta
> >Locus Inc.
> >Madison WI.
>
> Dave,
>
> I assume you are talking about these ratsnest lines that terminate at a
> point with no (apparent) track or fill or pads etc.
>
> I have seen this at time and it is very irritating isn't it.
>
> I have investigated the cause on a number of occasions.  I am afraid I
> can't quite recall the process I use to clear it.
>
> I know Select-Inside does not catch the phantom entity.  I know it is
> sometime hard to find the problem when looking at the ASCII format file (as
> text).  I am not sure if clearing the netlist and the re-synching helps -
> make lots of backups before mixing netlist functions with the synch - there
> is a method of getting the synch out of step by using the netlist
> functions.  Saving as an ASCII format and reopening and then resynching
> should fix this.
>
> I can't recall if I have every tried to pour a polygon or place a fill over
> the area (specifying a different net).  This would possibly trigger a DRC
> violation depending on the actual form of the mystery entry.  If so then
> the DRC violation details may help track down the source of these problems.
>
> This is an issue I have observed  occasionally for years now.  I have a
> feeling that the ratsnest may terminate on the old location of a via or a
> free pad.  Not sure about this.
>
> There is at least one other Move Selection issue that can come up.  In some
> circumstances, a combination of Move Selection and the 'L' key (to swap
> layers) can cause the undo stack to become out-of-sorts.  Doing Undo may
> leave the system such that not all entities redraw correctly at all zoom
> levels.  From memory the problem does not persist through a Save - or does
> it need to be fixed by a Save-As (ASCII).  Can't recall now - it was a long
> time ago.  But I can go back and find out the details and, I think, it is
> in the bug list.  This is a confirmed (by Altium) bug.
>
> Ian Wilson

* Tracking #: E78668635D29944698884082F956EDC67E5E92C3