no i don't agree that this is a bug
when you say "shouldn't it know when it's placing a mech line?"
 i don't see how

you could wish to place a line on a copper layer (which would of course
be conductive)

for example on top layer if you start from a pad with a net and  P T
the track will have the associated net

if instead you did P L you would see NO NET as the track attribute and
the width would be independent of the rules set and follow the last line
width used

also even on a copper layer the two commands are useful for keeping the
separate widths per type

as to the schematic commands
in the schematic editor
a wire is P W
a line is P D L  (not P L as you indicated)

but in the sch lib editor a line is P L since everything is a "D"rawing
primitive and there are no wires

Dennis Saputelli