Well, you could just modify the tool bar ... I've added a PCB:PlaceTrack
button and used the Wire.bmp image and changed the bmp image on the "Place
lines on the current document" button from the Wire.bmp to the Polyline.bmp
image.

This way, pressing the tab button after clicking on the button ...

     "Interactively route connections" you get the "Interactive Routing" pop
up
     "PCB:PlaceTrack"                  you get the "Track Properties" pop up
     "Place lines on the document"     you get the "Line Constraints" pop up

But I usually just use PL or PT or Right Click rather than using the buttons

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once the line/track has been placed, doesn't
Protel treat them all the same (according to their properties)?  That is to
say, if you double click on any line, whether it be a mechanical line or a
track, the same properties box pops up from whence you can modify it.  My
impression is that the important part is what "mode" is used to place the
line/track, which causes Protel to assert different rules when laying the
line/track.

(I've never done an ASCII output of a PCB (or a schematic) so I could be
missing something.)

I suppose it would be possible to create a script of some sort that would
auto detect what layer you where on when it was invoked and then start the
correct line/track placement routine.

TimEx