Acrobat is not office software, it can be regarded as
technical software. Especially if Word does not work
as expected.
Been there done that. I also had to swallow at that
point. How do you document your pcb's in a userfriendly
way. We're still waiting for protel viewer.
Whatever tool : word, pdf, protelviewer, it has to allow
printing, viewing, zooming. And perhaps hold a few stories
too. Acrobat allows to hold text being printed into it
from Word, meaning you can do your stories (descriptions,
specifications, sourcecode) in Word and output it to pdf,
add the schematic and the various printouts (such as
top overlay, toplayer, and so on) to the pdf and you're done.

Be good if Word would do it, but it doesn't.

Rene