JaMi Smith wrote:

<snip>
> I added a block of 32 components, and used the global edit capability to
> change the size of the ref des and comment fields, and  also to make the
> comment "hidden"
>
> Now, on these 32 components, I wanted to also "hide" the "ref des", and
> thought I could simply "select" my 32 components, and then chek the "hidden"
> box on the "designator" tab, and hit the global button so that I could say
> "same" (for "hidden") and also "same" for "selection", only to find out that
> there was no "selection" feature on the "designator - global" dialogue, and
> that I either had to do them all or none, and do each individually.
>
> This once again brought up the issue of why can't I controll some of these
> things when I make the part.
<snip>

I'm not quite sure if it will do what you exactly want, but:
To globally hide/unhide designators or comments of selected components
you should dblclick on component, not the designator or comment, so the
component properties dialog pops up - with all 3 tabs.
Being on the Properties (first) tab and clicking "Global" you may choose
the Selection scope, then change the tab to Designator or Comment, change
Hide status and click OK.
It should hide/unhide designators or comments of selected components only.

I hope it would help.

Wojciech Oborski