Hi,
A note buried in the PROTEL Online help probably says it all.  I guess the
words "Limited Interaction" say it all!

"Note: While the schematic clipboard is normally independent of the Windows
clipboard, there is some limited interaction. Selected schematic design
objects are placed on the Windows clipboard as graphical objects during the
cut and copy operation, and can by pasted into external Windows
applications. Text placed on the Windows clipboard can be pasted into a
schematic Text Frame object."

In my case I needed the whole schematic including the template, but I tried
copying without the template and still had problems.
With the template turned on or off I was able to select some small sections
of the sheet and they would paste into other applications correctly, however
selecting other components produced errors (even to the point of netlabels
working or not working depending on weather a particular component connected
to that net had been selected for the copy or not!).

The following note buried in the PROTEL Online help probably says it all.  I
guess the words "Limited Interaction" say it all!

"Note: While the schematic clipboard is normally independent of the Windows
clipboard, there is some limited interaction. Selected schematic design
objects are placed on the Windows clipboard as graphical objects during the
cut and copy operation, and can by pasted into external Windows
applications. Text placed on the Windows clipboard can be pasted into a
schematic Text Frame object." ' ©Protel International 1999. All rights
reserved.

cheers,
Mark Harrison
Bionic Ear Institute