From: Brad Velander [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 11:37 AM
To: 'Protel EDA Forum'
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Best settings for polygon fill on signal layer?

Tim,
        first my observations. I have always found that 45 degree polygons
are a lot slower than 90 degree polygons at repouring. Since yours is
completely filled I don't see where 45 degree is doing anything for you.
Second, rather than using a grid matching the track width, I normally use a
"0" grid which spaces the tracks according to the track width. Just a couple
of tips from my experiences.
        As for your other questions, I have never observed Protel to do any
gerber optimization for polygons. It will draw the polygon using the same
aperture as your track width and draw line for line what is in the database.
There is a setting in the gerber advanced tab that will optimize gerber
elements for drawing but this is just a distance travelled optimization
similar to the drill travel optimization in the NC Drill generation.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com
Norsat's Microwave Products Division has now achieved ISO 9001:2000
certification