Oops...vernacular for evening meal.

> But W2K Pro won't convert his Protel 98 files either.  As
> long as we are
> doing price comparisons, for the price of P99SE ($9K ?)you
> could buy 225
> boxed Linux distros ($40 each).  Or you could (legally) make
> 36,000 copies
> of a Linux distro CD ($0.25 per blank CD).

Exactly, regardless of your MacSimilar clique-motivated reply ;) (not to
mention the chuckle I get from the idea that Linux proponents now feel
adding a price to Linux is "acceptable, when in fact the idea that it was
freeware was, at one time, the primary issue for its acceptance in the
"border" communities...)

My point was, (though perhaps difficult for the Linux reader to comprehend,
possibly due to a difference in logical architecture between our houses?
<g>) is that Protel is extremely expensive, and so such a policy for
providing legacy versions should be employed by the company without
question, though with ATS and the new corporate executive staff that was
allowed to co-op the company towards such a policy leaves me wondering
whether such a policy would still be in effect or choked off by the same
idiot(s) who originated ATS...

And "convert"? I have yet to find any P98 file that cannot be opened without
issue in P99SE. It's not to say that there aren't any such files, simply
that I have no experience with such difficulties, so the idea that one might
actually have to perform a file conversion from P98 to P99SE seems odd, to
say the least, especially since neither PCB or Schematic files seem to be
affected by such an improbable situation.

Perhaps I should have tallied Protel's obvious expense up in terms of
something more
digestable, like pieces of bubblegum or copies of DOOM...

aj