I've seen it on my boards from AC with the LPI mask but its not there on
boards with other Mask types.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Polak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 3:52 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] LPI oxides? ( OT - Good places to get boards
populated)

>Also thanks for the recommendations on the PCB houses... I got 2 boards back
>from Advance Circuits last week and they are great.  Few day turnaround and
>didn't even have to speak with a human about the process.  They get my
thumbs
>up.

         Hey all!

         I've been using Advanced Circuits for the past year for both
prototype and production runs, and the service and support have been
absolutely outstanding - on the number of occasions when I've had to ask
questions or put in expedited orders, everyone I have talked to on the
phone was extremely courteous and knowledgeable, and made you feel like you
were a VIP customer even if you were ordering only two units. I've never
seen this overall level of customer support before in dealing with any
other company - two thumbs up. :>

         One thing I have seen from AC, though, that I've not seen from
anyone else is an oxide finish that they apply under the LPI mask to make
it adhere to the copper better. This results in traces on the outer layers
showing up in 'black' rather than 'shiny green' like everyone else's
boards. It does kind of look cool, but I've never seen this outside of AC's
boards. Talking to the head CAM guy there yielded the specific explanation:

         "That is actually an oxide finish to promote soldermask
adhesion.  We may be
phasing it out shortly, however, so don't be alarmed if you stop seeing it."

         Out of curiosity, has anyone else ever seen this done before?

-- Matt

P.S. JaMi, et all -- your recent BGA discussion has been extremely
interesting! I'm very soon needing to do some BGA parts (albeit only 256
ball TI parts!) and this have given me a lot of info to digest! Kudos to
all who commented in this thread!