It has it's problems, usually associated with updating footprints, deleting
the old footprint from the pcb first is the best workaround.

This is usually caused by replacing a device with a new schematic part and
associated footprint that differs in the number of connections (pins/pads)
than the replaced part.

Updating footprints with the same number of pads does work.

I like the synchroniser, but on rare occasions I have found that two passes
are required to fully sync with the PCB, unfortunately due to the rarity of
theses events I have not worked out the cause yet.

I always do an extra pass of "Update PCB" just to make sure.

Not sure about clearing the handles. Perhaps someone else may elucidate
further.

Tom.