It is a curse that many have sought to help me with here
on the list.  Although there are a lot of things that might
help it update, there are times when I flat out can't get
it to work at all.  In a case like this, I am forced to
delete the old part and replace it with the new one.

I believe it's a bug, but it seems intermittent.

For one thing, make sure you are using the right library.
Just here recently I added a part to the library, but when
I came back to the schematic and wanted to place the part,
it wasn't there.  I was positive I made the change in the
right library, but when I looked closer, I noticed that I
had created a new ddb and archived the old one, and I was
editting in the new ddb BUT when I wanted to place components
out of it, it was going to an unchanged version in the old
ddb.

Oh!  Another kicker is make sure that you don't have the
components "locked" on your schematic.  This will cause
the desired update to fail.

miker