Black Oxide is used to enhance adhesion of prepreg to inner layer
cores. Since the process is used anyway, I imagine that any fab
shop could provide black oxide on outer layers too if it was
requested.

I guess some LPI compositions have had adhesion difficulties in
the past, leading fab shops to try black oxide surface finishing
(it was common in the late 80's). As far as I know, though, modern
LPI doesn't need the special treatment.

John Haddy