At 12:28 PM 10/5/2002 -0700, Dennis Saputelli wrote:
>the comment field is not exposed in the PCB lib editor, but of course it
>is in the PCB editor

I very much doubt that the "comment" field exists in the PCB library. It is
meaningless there, just as the reference designator is meaningless there.

I think you can add .refdes and .comment strings to a PCB part, as I
recall, and they will pick up and display the refdes and comment fields of
the component record. Note that the refdes and comment contents are not
really part of the *footprint* but they come from the PCB file.

>it seemed to me that the data area must be reserved in the PCB lib part
>so i tried to save as ascii to examine it
>and was surprised that that function was not available

No, there is no data area, I'm pretty sure. When a footprint is added to a
PCB file as a component, the footprint primitives are placed in a separate
area of the file from the component information, the latter is in Component
records. A unique number is assignd to each Component, and then that number
is stuffed into the "component" field of each primitive.

When you edit a comment field in a PCB component, and then create a library
from the PCB file, comment information is not transferred to the library,
just as reference designator information is not transferred. While I
haven't looked at the binary to be sure, I'd be astonished if it was any
different....