> We have an external contractor that uses a much less spec machine and
256meg
> ram,
> they have a policy of formatting the HD and re-installing each time Protel
> crashes.
> (Personally, I think that's a bit extreme, read on...)

Wow!  Extreme indeed.  Do they actually manage to get any real *work* done
between the lengthy format/install process?

Sounds like an inability or unwillingness to find the real cause of the
problem.  The only time I have re-installed W2K is when I had a networking
problem a few months ago.  It turned out to be an ethernet switch/router
that had gone bad (on 2 of the 8 ports only!).

People, if you have such bad problems, it could be a h/w fault.  I cannot
stress enough the importance of having solid, reliable h/w.  Cheap PCs or PC
components, if they cause problems, should be thrown in the garbage.  That
includes any new PCs (even name brands, "C****q" comes to mind) that are
made from cheap components.  No OS or app can run well on flaky h/w.

People frequently ask me what to buy.  I tell them to buy from the place I
buy my computers - a local PC shop/ISP (white box builder) that also builds
and maintains Linux business servers.  Since Linux has such long uptime (few
crashes), the h/w must be top-notch.  They won't be as cheap as Dell,
Gateway, HP, etc., but will be standard, non-proprietary, and very reliable.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com