For whoever is interested.

I uploaded my VB macro  to the files section of the Yahoo DXP group for
anyone who is interested.   Sorry if this is inconvienent, but its the
easiest thing for me a the moment.

A few notes about my VB macro.   Its heavily tied to how we decided to
implement our library parts and what we decided each field to do.

Here is a summary of how we use the fields.

Field          Purpose
-----------------   ---------------------
part type generic part number (1N6642)

library 1      manufacturer
library 2      type of part string (RES, CAP, DIO, ZNR etc)
library 3      electrical info
library 4      mechanical info
library 5      de-rating info
library 6      stress analysis type string (for table lookup in analysis
spread sheets)
library 7      part number info like a value code example 102 = 1k
library 8      default procurment part number (JANTX1N6642)

part field 1   part value (R Ohms, C Farrads, L Henry, VR Volt, Fuse Amp,
etc)
part field 2   part value (R Wattage, C Volt, etc)
part field 3   tollerance %
part field 4   characteristic (C dielectric, R type, etc)
part field 5   * general *
part field 6   * general *
part field 7   * general *
part field 8   * general *
part field 9   procurement part number over-ride (JANS1N6642)
part field 10  * general *
part field 11  * general *
part field 12  * general *
part field 13  * general *
part field 14  Using assembly
part field 15  Find number for parts list
part field 16  parts list comment

The macro has some logic in it to populate the procurment p/n colum as
follows:

Use "part type" if _both_ "lib 8" and "part 9" are empty
      else use "lib 8" if "part 9" is empty,
      otherwise use "part 9"

This allows us to control the actual p/n that shows up in the parts list
without requiring a lot of extra work.

Also, for resistors and caps (R* & C*, but not CR*), the value in part
field 1 will be appended to the description.

Regards
Dave Lewis