I can't verify what I'm writing at the moment, so these are just my thoughts.

In the Menu system (which is not the same as the Process system), Place Interactive is used to place track that is net-assigned through copper connection. Like most commands, I think this defaults to the most recently-used layer. Place Line does not consider, at all, net assignments and places track which is not net-assigned. It also defaults to the last used layer.

So perhaps PlaceTrack is really Place Line? And the default (previous) layer is not currently enabled, perhaps it is a mech layer or even a layer that is not enabled in the current design?

*I don't find* in a cursory review of the processes, one for Place Line. So maybe this is PlaceTrack??

(the terminology Track and Line are sometimes confused, Protel has not been entirely consistent, since, in fact, a track and a line are the same primitive.)