JaMi Smith wrote:

<snip>
Needless to say, I don't want to buy more than I need, and at the same time
I certainly don't want to go out and buy something that is not going to do
the job.
<snip>

As it is now clear from what Ian Wilson and John Williams posted that
Delphi 5 is necessary and Delhi 5 Standard Edition is sufficient,
I'd like to add my 2 cents:

I got my copy of Borland Delphi 5 StdEd together with a computer magazine
(the price was the equivalent of 4 US$)- the license was for private use,
not limited in time. It's certainly enough to learn Delphi and SDK.

Together with this there was an offer for so called "Delphi Deployment
License" giving the right to use it commercially (the price was the
equivalent of 75 US$).

It's history now, but I think you may find similiar way to get Delphi 5
Standard Edition for personal use for free (or very cheap at least).

Wojciech Oborski