Hi all,

my question is not protel specific but it still has to do with pcb
so i'll go ahead and ask it here.I hope it is alright .

my problem is as follows :

I have  to choose between using

1)  68 pin SCSI surface mount female connector
                OR
2)  68 pin  SCSI  thru hole female  connector.

This connector ((( actually there are 16 of the same connector repeated
on the board ))) has traces  going from its pins ((( pads for surface
mount if I choose that )))  to  the I/O pins of a ball-grid-array FPGA part.

These traces would be routed on various signal layers .

Now if I choose the thru-hole connector then the traces can directly
attach to the connector pins in whichever layer it is routed (((
since the connector pins will go thru all possible layers )))  ;
on the other hand if I choose the surface mount connector I will
need every trace to be brought up to the top signal layer so that
they may attach to the surface mount connector pad.

Am I right ?

Further in case I choose the thru-hole connector and I need to use
a terminating resistor , what do I have to do ?
Since the trace going from the connector to the FPGA is entirely
 contained in one of the internal signal layers ((( and the terminating
resistor must be placed somewhere in between the FPGA I/O pin and
the connector pin ))) , where can I put the terminating resistor ?

What is generally done in such a situation ?

please do reply with your suggestions,

thanks very much

Anand Kulkarni