FYI,

I attended the Greater Ohio Chapter of the Designers Council
meeting last night in which Rick Hartley gave a presentation
on "Routing and Terminating of High Speed Lines".  During the
presentation Rick noted that not only that IPC-D-317A was full
of bad formula, the IPC new it was bad and is currently in the
process of redoing it under a new number (IPC-23?? or something).
Rick stated that the formula got you within 8% of the correct
values at best and when you add manufacturing tolerances you
could be 18% off or more.  The revised standard will be within
approximately 2%.

Regards,
Steve Smith
Product Engineer