heh, well as quick as can be, on a mailinglist with an 8 hour turnaround.
:-)

I just had a 4 layer PCB made up...

My very first BGA - a Virtex 2 pro.(I'm terribly proud of it!) It was also
the first time I have ever used two entire layers for split planes carrying
power and ground.

Anyway ---

I have a header for programming a microcontroller on this board, and one of
the pins of this is meant to be connected to a 3.3V plane on the plane
layer.

This pin just happens to also overlap another plane (5.6V)

I supplied a PCB file to my board manufacturer, and the board has come back
with a standard thermal relief placed around the power pin. As a result the
pin is connected to both power planes, and they are shorted.

This is not a tragedy in itself as I can drill out the hole and wire power
to the programmer as needed, and its only a prototype run (2 boards) but I'm
just wondering is this bridging planes with pins something that you should
never do in protel, and is it something (else) that Protel just can't
handle? or did my PCB manufacturer stuff up??

Julian

--
Julian Higginson - Design Engineer - Lake Technology.
Suite 502/55 Mountain St, Ultimo, NSW 2007, Australia.