On 03:16 AM 30/05/2003, Natalie DeGennaro said:
Hi,

I am a newbie to this group, having just started learning Protel DXP. But
I am a senior designer having used other software.

I would like to make my fabrication notes (and possibly my fab drawing
title block) into a symbol I can call in on every board. Is this possible
on this software? From what I read in the Help section, all components
have to have a pin definition in them. I don't want pins, I just want
dummy text and lines in the shape of a Titleblock and notes. Is this
possible?

I can make a DXF file to do this but I would rather have a symbol to call
in.

Thanks for all help,
Natalie

Natalie,
DXP introduces (to Protel) the concept of component types. Graphical types are not synched with the PCB and not put on the BOM - so I would think this would do the job. The only downside would be that you have a large component across the whole board. This may make selecting components a pain, and also have some other side effects.

You could explode the component once placed - this would work OK.

Or you could simply design a PCB template. I have not looked into the details of PCB templates. There has been some discussion on this on the Altium DXP forum but I can't recall the details and am too lazy to look them up just now, actually it is Sunday night here and I am wondering why I am answering the question at all...:-). You could search the archives of that forum for details (http://forums.altium.com).

Ian Wilson