On 12:51 PM 30/05/2003, Julian Higginson said:

Just to answer my own question, before it even arrives in my own inbox:

It looks like in the case where you have a primitive overlapping two planes
on a single layer, and connecting to one, that protel does its thing *before
you even get to the gerber stage* with plonking a thermal relief down on the
layer for that primitive.

So essentially, it shorts the two split planes together, then DOES NOT
DETECT they are shorted in a DRC.

Chalk another one up to experience I guess.... I've never even heard of this
bug before, but I can guarantee Altium have.

You know - I really don't mind the occasional bug in software, it happens.
And Windows isn't the nicest environment to develop in... But what really
does annoy me about these sorts of things, is if Protel maintained an open
and honest bug list on their website that listed exactly, in a point by
point list, the things you should not do with various versions of their
software, it would be a lot easier to make a board 100% right first time
with their software.... Maybe it's worth someone's time to make one up and
host it somewhere (like the OrCad website?!?!?) since Altium seem so
unwilling to help their own users navigate the collection of small, yet
potentially very damaging list of bugs.