Natalie,
DXP introduces (to Protel) the concept of component types. Graphical types are not synched with the PCB and not put on the BOM - so I would think this would do the job. The only downside would be that you have a large component across the whole board. This may make selecting components a pain, and also have some other side effects.

I should have mentioned that the "type" is an attribute of a component. Edit the component properties (either in the lib or once placed on the PCB) and change the type field. Click on the "What's this?" help button on the component properties dialog box ( the "?" top right) and then click on the type drop box for some details on component type.

Ian