Natalie,

While some prefer to do something like that in another package, such as
AutoCad, there are those that like to do it here in Protel 99 SE

I know a number of people wo use one of the mechanical Layers as a PWB
Detail (Fab Dwg), by putting on a Border and Title Block and Standard Notes,
and just using that as the startup template for any new board.

When you use the PCB Wizard in Protel 99 SE to create a new job (after
creating a new file, rightclick on the background in your main window of
your new .ddb  and select New . . . and then select the Wizards Tab and then
doubleclick on Printed Circuit Board Wizard), the Wizard itself uses
templates to generate a new PCB document for you. These templates are stored
in a database called templates.ddb located in your Program Files\Design
Explorer 99 SE\System directory.

You can modify an existing template to suit your needs, or make a new one of
your own. I can't remember all of the details involved in setting up your
own template, but possibly others in the forum can help you there.

The only thing you I would say that you have to watch out for here is the
size of the negatives since your board shop might generate film the size of
your complete drawing and charge you for it if you have that layer turned on
when you generate your Gerbers.

Hope that this is of some help.

JaMi