Thanks everyone for the replies:

To be clear:
1. when I go Select->Inside Area (or alternatively click and move the mouse
around an area), the tracks are selected, but components aren't.
2. "Protect Locked Objects" is OFF (first thing I tried).
3. Select->All works (i.e. selects components).
4. Shift-Clicking on a component selects it.
5. Setting "OnlySelectVisible" to False in ADVPCB99SE.INI didn't work
either.

I might have to wait until my next re-install...I have more important things
to do (like find who still manufactures the CD4000B and CD40103B in surface
mount)

Damon Kelly
Hardware Engineer