I've used Pads since the late 1980's and pefer it most of the time over Protel which I have used since the mid 1990's. Both programs have their plus and minus. Protel is better for smaller analog boards where I find Pads much much faster for designing larger digital pcb's.

I am using Pads v4.01 which is last years release. I have not moved a section as mentioned but I think it is possible. Some things that speed the design process in Pads is the ability to manually autoroute traces. Its hard to describe in words, but basically you can guide where you want the route to go and Pads will route the trace per set design rules following your path Buss routes are much faster as well. Fan out signals then use the buss route feature and route one trace and the others you have selected will route along side.

There is more. Pads does a better job handling planes. It will redraw and error check planes much faster. There is more that I won't go into but one thing is that Pads cost more. I don't have the full options and it cost me about $16K. I think the full package is $19K.

The new release v 5.0 with Blaze route seems even faster though I haven't used it for any jobs yet.

I recently did a large 12 layer analog and digital mixed design in Protel 99SE, I swear I could have done the job in less than half the time.

Mark