On 07:02 AM 15/08/2003, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax said:

It's too bad that Protel 99SE does not have editable pin types at the schematic level: Tango DOS allowed this.... (In Protel, pin types are only editable in the Library editor.) What I'd have liked to see would have been a symbol attribute that is "Allow Pin Electrical Type Edits." If checked in the library, the pin types would be editable at the schematic level. If not, they'd be locked. So a connector symbol, generally, would have editable pin types. And then the error checking could get even better. I'd also like to have a way to quickly see the pin type of a pin. (Again, this was easy in Tango DOS).

Early versions of Protel did. It was removed as part of a push to make more robust library management I think. Can't recall the details.

DXP allows the pin types to be edited on the Sch (per instance). This is very useful for FPGA and large CPLDs and micros where the pins are programmable and you don't know the use when designing the symbol in the Sch Lib. Editing a component (dbl clicking to bring up the Component Properties dialog, has an Edit Pins button that bring up a grid showing details of all the pins, can sort by columns etc. Also the List panel will show pin details if a suitable selection is current.)

Ian