On 07:09 AM 16/08/2003, Ralph Garvin said:
Abdul / Brock
  Thanks for the info...
 Doesn't make it easy, but at least I have
 the outline of what to do....
 MANY more parts coming out that utilize
 the large pad area under the parts for
 heat sink,  was wondering does DXP have
 an easier mechanism for creating these
 types of pads??

DXP does not really offer any major improvement here.

I do agree that there could be better ways of supporting complex pads but I find that I am not spending a lot of time making footprints (more is spent on Sch and Sch symbols and PCB) - so, although some improvements in supporting odd shaped pads would be nice I have things higher up my list for improvements to DXP.

I guess one thing that may work would be that fills and tracks inside a component might be able to be marked with a "expose" attribute - this would simply open the solder and paste masks as for a normal pad. As Brock mentioned though, it is often advantageous to be able to control paste application on large pads, so maybe there needs to be an expose attribute for both the solder and paste masks. I may put a suggestion like this onto a DXP list so it gets logged as a possible improvement. Not sure, though, it would ever happen, the workarounds are not too bad.

Something that would be nice would be not having to run the update nets command - it would be nice if, during the update of a PCB the net of copper embedded copper in a PCB footprint, touching a pad, could be updated automatically. This is an option in P99SE but it can really slow down an update.

Ian