At 9-29-2003 08:27, Terry Creer wrote:
Guys,

Out of interest, I tried this myself, by exporting a few selected components
to a spreadsheet, changing  a footprint (0603 to 1206) and doing an
'update'. Sure enough, it updated the 'footprint' field on the component to
1206, but it didn't actually update the physical component size to a 1206.
It remained a 0603. Is there one more step involved?

Thanks,

TC

Terry,

it might actually be a step less....

On most of my boards a lot of decoupling caps and pull up/down resistors end up on the bottom side, simply because I have no room for them at the top. But at schematic time I just don't know where they will end up, so they all get footprint 0805 or whatever.
At route time (I do all routing by hand) I just change the concerned footprints to '0805-wave' in the component edit dialog box and flip them to the bottom, works like a charm. I then only need to re-adjust a few tracks in order to maintain the full connectivity and rule compliance.

To keep things in sync I then do an update schematics from PCB, no need for a spreadsheet anywhere.

Just my two (euro)cents on this subject....

By now,
Leo