I have from time to time encountered a database which hangs Protel upon
attempting to do a compact. I vaguely recall having fixed at least one such
database by turning off the automatic compact on closing, closing the database, and
then manually compacting that particular database - and then everything was
fine from then on.

I now have a small database (only a single schematic sheet entered thus far)
which refuses to compact, whether done automatically at closing, or done
manually. There's nothing unusual about the design; it's thus far a single
schematic sheet, B size, and not particularly dense, a few dozen parts placed and
wired thus far. A few of those parts are newly created in my personal library, but
there shouldn't be anything I could do in creating a part that should hang
the program. After I work in the schematic for a while, I start getting access
violations, and eventually have to shut down - but Protel hangs in the process
of shutting down (because automatic compact is turned on).

I'll probably have to jump thru some hoops with moving the schematic to a
clean, new database via the clipboard, but I'd sure like to know what is the
trigger that brings this problem to the surface. Running 99SE SP6 (wish it was
SP7) under W2K SP2. I refuse to load the later "service packs" because they bring
nothing new to the party except Sweet Old Bill's spyware. Any thoughts?

Steve Hendrix