At 06:33 AM 10/7/2003, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi,
I wish to prevent a polygon from pouring in a certain area.  I have used a
fill as a keepout on that layer, but I then get DRC errors showing shorts
where I have put the fill over tracks.

Naturally, since there are tracks violating the keepout.

  I also get DRC clearance errors
where the fill is under a component.

Since I can't get a fill to cause a component clearance DRC error with a component, I suspect that these errors are coming from something else. Protel 99SE has three levels of component clearance. I was unaware of this until I looked just now.... Quick Check will show errors if there are top and bottom components in the same XY location. Multilayer will allow top and bottom components to share XY space, and Full check does not use the component outline but rather actual component primitives. But there is no option to use fills for keepout of component placement.

  Is there a neater way of doing this
so it comes up DRC clean?

What you apparently want is to have an area with tracks but you don't want a polygon to fill in that area. And you don't want errors on the DRC, which is a commendable goal.

There are a number of ways to do this in P99SE, as is typical.

Perhaps the simplest would be to place the fill, then pour the polygon, then delete the fill (or move it to a mechanical layer, maybe with explanatory text, i.e., "move fill to Top Layer before pouring Polygon")

Another way would be to place a polygon instead of a fill, fill it and select it, explode it into primitives, and then globally edit your selected track to keepouts. You might also lock the track, so you'll get a warning if you try to move any of these keepout tracks.

(To explode a polygon, use Tools/Convert/Explode Polygon to Free Primitives, then click on the polygon and confirm.)

(When you place the polygon, select No Net as the net assignment, plus make sure that Remove Dead Copper is unchecked, or you will create one of the famous invisible polygons. Cross-hatch would be overkill for this; likewise the track size could be relatively large, since it will probably not be necessary to avoid the little breaks that you can get when the track size is too large. And too small a size will unnecessarily increase the size of your database. For efficiency, the Grid Size should be set to 0, which tells the pour routine to place track edge-to-edge -- this is normally the best setting anyway.)

The second way is best because it will allow you to repour the larger polygon without creating a problem.