At 09:36 PM 4/12/2004, Harry Lemmens wrote:
I still think the swap to an integrated database in 98/99/99se was a mistake
that slows design loading beyond belief! (The last service pack for 99SE makes this even worse, playing a database compaction game every time you exit a project. (even if nothing has changed!)

Well, automatic compaction is an option, set under the Client menu (the down-arrow, upper left corner of screen, Design Utilities/Compact/Peform Compact after Closing Design).

Yes, it would be nice if it only compacted when the database had been changed.... But you can turn it off and only compact when, for example, you are preparing to send the database across a slow connection. (i.e., delete unnecessary files, empty the trash, close, and then compact.)

Note that, while many of us complained about the integrated database when P99 came out, when DXP eliminated it, many of us also complained! I was happy when P99 was modified to allow the Windows File System in lieu of the integrated database, and yet, when I was actually using P99SE, I *only* used the database. My only continued complaint about was, in fact, the tendency of the databases to grow beyond belief. Mostly that was an issue when a client would email us an uncleaned and uncompacted database and it would overflow the 10 MB mailbox limit I used to have, causing all my mail to start bouncing.