Peter,

Rather than removing the comments, tick the HIDE box for the component
comments in your PCB layout.
This way they are still there (satisfies Protel) but they do not appear in
printed documentation (satisfies you).

This change can be done globally so it should be a quick and easy answer to
your problem.

Linden