I've   never  had  that much  luck  with  autoplace.  I haven't tried
it  lately  though.  I've given up on it,  since about P98, P99.  Just
not useable in my experience.

It  works  out  much  better  if you use rooms and the "move to room."
features.  But you do  need  to think ahead somewhat when you draw the
schematics  so  that  rooms   will   be  created,  and so that you can
group the associated parts together and (later) place them into a room.

This won't do all of the work,  but it does make things easier.

---Phil