Daniel Weiss wrote:

Hi

The 99SE PCB layout program seems to *not* DRC a power supply layer. I am
asking on behalf of our layout man, is there a way to have it do a proper
DRC on power layers as well? It happend to us that two power supplies got
shorted because the gap width between them was inadvertently set to zero.

It does do a check on power layers, but there is a deficiency in the algorithm
when it comes to holes that are partially in the border between split plane
regions. Normally, I think you DO get some kind of complaint if split plane
regions OVERLAP, but maybe the same problem occurs when the regions are
extremely close.

I think it is pretty well known that the handling of through holes connecting to
split planes is not 100% airtight, and so you have to watch out for design
practices that allow you to fall into these traps.

(Been there, done that a few times, myself.)

Jon