Hi Yunhu:

I'm copying the other developers and the PI of our lab on this email.

I'll answer the last question first: how much storage space should the
server have to be a Tranche server? The answer is that the server
should have at least two terabytes. We have servers that range from
2TB-24TB. If you would like to work with us to find the best server
set up, just email us back and let us know.

The good news is that testing a server and starting a public server is
very easy to start, with only a little configuration.

The simplest way to test a server is to simply run the GUI.

---START THE SERVER FROM GUI---

Note: if you are on a public IP, your server might be used! It would
be better to use a server with a local network IP (e.g., 192.x.x.xxx),
though in the configuration section, there's a step you can do so you
can use a public IP and prevent other users from writing to your
server.

1. Go to [http://tranche.proteomecommons.org/] and click "Launch Tranche".

2. Log in. (If you do not have an account yet, visit
[http://www.proteomecommons.org/autocert/signup.jsp] and sign up. May
take a few days to authorize.)

3. In the GUI, go to Preferences > Server Configuration. Type in the
port you want to use, and click "Start the server". Don't close this
window yet!

---CONFIGURATION---

1. You can skip this step if on local network IP (e.g., 192.x.x.xxx).

Go to "Users" in server configuration. Find "ProteomeCommons.org Auto
Cert". De-select "write data" and "write meta".

This should help prevent writing by other users if you are on a public
ip. However, the only person who will be able to write to this server
is the user who was logged in when server was started!

2. Go to "Attributes" in server configuration. Find "hashSpanFix:
AllowRun" in the list. Right-click on this and set to false. Then
click "Save Changes".

This will prevent the server from negotiating information with the network.

When you are testing the server from your local network, in the GUI,
go to "Servers" section and click on "Add a Server" in the right
column. Add the address, and after a few seconds, the server should
appear in the list.

Let us know what questions you have as you test the server. Also, if
you decide to host a public server, let us know, and we'll walk you
through the process.

Cheers,
Bryan Smith