From: inot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Retransmis.
> Bush a ajuns sa se teama de internet, la fel cum Ceausescu se temea de
calculatoare.
> A. Apahideanu

 Ady Popescu wrote:
Tenet calls for Internet security
By Shaun Waterman
UNITED PRESS INTERNATIONAL
Published December 2, 2004

Former CIA Director George  J. Tenet yesterday called for new security
measures to  guard against attacks  on the United States  that use the
Internet, which he called "a potential Achilles' heel."

"I know  that these actions will be controversial  in this age when we still
think the Internet is a free and open society with no control or
accountability," he told an information-technology security conference in
Washington,  "but  ultimately  the  Wild  West must  give  way  to
governance and control."

The former CIA director said telecommunications - and specifically the
Internet - are a  back door through which terrorists and other enemies of
the United  States  could attack  the country,  even  ough great strides
have been made in securing the physical infrastructure.
 The Internet "represents a  potential Achilles' heel for our financial
stability and  physical security  if the networks we  are creating are not
protected," Mr. Tenet said.
He said known  adversaries, including "intelligence services, military
organizations  and  non-state  actors,"  are  researching  information
attacks against the United States.

Within the federal government, the Department of Homeland Security has the
lead role  in  protecting the  Internet from  terrorism.  But the
department's head of cyber-security recently quit amid reports that he had
clashed with his superiors.

Mr.  Tenet, who  retired in July  as director  of the CIA  after seven
years, warned that al Qaeda remains a sophisticated group, even though its
first-tier leadership largely has been destroyed.
It  is  "undoubtedly mapping  vulnerabilities  and  weaknesses in  our
telecommunications networks," he said.

Mr. Tenet pointed out  that the modernization of key industries in the
United States  is making them more  vulnerable by connecting them with an
Internet that is open to attack.

The way the Internet  was built might be part of the problem, he said. Its
open architecture allows  Web surfing, but that openness makes the system
vulnerable, Mr. Tenet said.

Access to networks like the World Wide Web might need to be limited to those
who can show they take security seriously, he said.

Mr. Tenet  called for  industry to lead  the way by  "establishing and
enforcing"  security  standards.  Products  need to  be  delivered  to
government and private-sector customers  "with a new level of security and
risk management already built in."

The national  press, including United Press  International (UPI), were
excluded from  yesterday's event,  at Mr. Tenet's  request, organizers said.

--
"Let me, at least, to know that she'll try
Then she'll be a true love of mine"

www.nuclearinfo.ro

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/DXOolB/TM