I call it the Alice in Wonderland effect. Each time I tour the United States ,
I stare through the looking glass at the faraway region in which I live and
work for The Independent - the Middle East - and see a landscape which I do no
recognise, a distant tragedy turned, here in America , into a farce of
hypocrisy and banality and barefaced lies. Am I the Cheshire Cat? Or the Mad
Hatter?

I picked up Jimmy Carter's new book, Palestine : Peace Not Apartheid at San
Francisco airport, and zipped through it in a day. It's a good, strong read by
the only American president approaching sainthood. Carter lists the outrageous
treatment meted out to the Palestinians, the Israeli occupation, the
dispossession of Palestinian land by Israel, the brutality visited upon this
denuded, subject population, and what he calls "a system of apartheid, with two
peoples occupying the same land but completely separated from each other, with
Israelis totally dominant and suppressing violence by depriving Palestinians of
their basic human rights".

http://americanwars.blogspot.com/2006/12/banality-and-barefaced-lies-by-robert.html

                www.freestudiesabroad.blogspot.com
  www.leprofesseurdefrancais.blogspot.com