Saddam to the gallows. It was an easy equation. Who could be more deserving of
that last walk to the scaffold - that crack of the neck at the end of a rope -
than the Beast of Baghdad, the Hitler of the Tigris, the man who murdered
untold hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis while spraying chemical weapons
over his enemies? Our masters will tell us in a few hours that it is a "great
day" for Iraqis and will hope that the Muslim world will forget that his death
sentence was signed - by the Iraqi "government", but on behalf of the Americans
- on the very eve of the Eid al-Adha, the Feast of the Sacrifice, the moment of
greatest forgiveness in the Arab world.

But history will record that the Arabs and other Muslims and, indeed, many
millions in the West, will ask another question this weekend, a question that
will not be posed in other Western newspapers because it is not the narrative
laid down for us by our presidents and prime ministers - what about the other
guilty men?

No, Tony Blair is not Saddam. We don't gas our enemies. George W Bush is not
Saddam. He didn't invade Iran or Kuwait. He only invaded Iraq. But hundreds of
thousands of Iraqi civilians are dead - and thousands of Western troops are
dead - because Messrs Bush and Blair and the Spanish Prime Minister and the
Italian Prime Minister and the Australian Prime Minister went to war in 2003 on
a potage of lies and mendacity and, given the weapons we used, with great
brutality.

http://americanwars.blogspot.com/2006/12/dictator-created-then-destroyed-by.html

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional